Wednesday, February 1, 2012

HEADING HOME TO AMERICA

My last day was a memorable to be sure. You know how I count down to Christmas every year? Well, I was counting down to the day I was to return home, with great enthusiasm. It had been a wonderful experience but I was itching to get home to my own bed, American food, my family and friends.

I counted the weeks and then the days and then by time frame like; this is my last Friday in Italy, next Friday I will be in Seattle, and so forth. Then I began counting the hours. Usually I counted at the end of the day, laying on the bed with tired feet and usually an empty, hungry tummy. And I made up menus of the food I wanted to eat once I got home. The things I wanted to cook and bake in my own kitchen. I missed the voices of my family and friends.

At long last it was my day of departure. Here's how the day unfolded.

My flight was scheduled to leave Rome at 7:30am and land in Heathrow airport at 9:30am, then depart at 2:30pm for Seattle. So, I had to wake up at 4:00am. It reminded me of the SWOG Group Meetings when I had to get up so early to put on the Clinical Trials Training Course. No big deal. I arose with a smile in my face and a spring in my step.

The ride to the airport was harrowing. Truly. The taxi driver was a young guy with limited English although we did have an engaging conversation. My chatter was fueled by anxiety and I had to keep talking: this guy drove like a bat out of hell. I have no idea how fast we were going and I refused to look at the speedometer, knowing that it would cause me to panic even more.

At one point we were on some side streets and we took a turn, into what looked like a short tunnel - I couldn't really tell because it was pitch black outside - the street seemed to end just 40 feet in front of us and we slowed to a near stop. Slightly to the right was a van that looked a bit beat up. It appeared that we were pulling up to the van. Vans make me nervous and this one didn't have any windows. There were a few concrete blocks against a fence and really, it was a dead-end street. My palms became sweaty, my heart rate was elevated and my imagination took flight. Where was he taking me?! I'm too old to be abducted for human trafficking but who knows what kidnappers think. Anxiety took my voice momentarily but as I gained it back...just as I was about to kick up a fuss, demand to know what's happening and start yelling if needed...when we took a left hand turn so sharp I'm certain we went up on two wheels like in action movies. As we accelerated I saw that we were on a rarely used, poorly marked, on-ramp to the freeway. I breathed out a sigh of relief. Sort of. Well, he was still driving too fast but whatever as long as I arrive to the airport on alive.

As I stood in the ridiculously long line at security all I could do was smile. I was so happy to be heading home. I knew full well that I had to go through security again at Heathrow and thank goodness for that - ANYONE could get through security in Rome. What a joke.

As I sat on the plane I was so happy to be going to Heathrow airport for my 4 hour lay-over, knowing full well that I would have access to food - not pasta, pastry, pizza, panini - and access to toilets. Fully functioning toilets. And I would hear and read English. I was so excited.

YES, it's a long flight home.
YES, I will be stuck on a plane next to god-knows-who
YES, I will look awful when I arrive
 and Jimmy-crack-corn-and-I-don't-care!!!

The woman sitting next to me was thoroughly unpleasant. The man who married her is an idiot. Here's an example of her attitude.

Scene setting: There was a woman across the aisle knitting.
Idiot who married a shrew said "Honey, you should take up knitting".
Shrew said "I would like to take those knitting needles and shove them up your #$$".
And so forth. That's how their conversation proceeded for the entire time.

I ignored her all the while humming songs about America and imaging what was waiting for me in Seattle.

What was waiting for me in Seattle?

My brother of course, my friends, my own bed and shower but more importantly --
Eggs, Bacon and Hashbrowns!!

I emailed my brother 3 weeks before my date of arrival and planned the whole thing with him. The restaurant I wanted to go to, what I wanted to eat and drink. It was delicious.

I actually cried when I finally walked into my place. My bed and pillows felt like fluffy clouds. I was home and it was a great feeling.

Right now I can't even think about going anywhere or traveling at all but I will again some day. It was an amazing experience: a twice-in-a-lifetime experience (I once spent 3 months traveling around New Zealand and Australia with a stop in Fiji and Hawaii). Thank you for taking the time to read about it and allowing me to share it with you.

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written... full of emotion, lively words that evoke my own memories of counting down the time to home... and hunger for good old 'merican food!

    ReplyDelete