Monday, June 27, 2011

WEEK 1 - THE SUMMER OF LORI

The first Monday that I didn't have to go to work I was a bit anxious but happy. I walked around my house saying to myself "I have the summer off - yes - I really do".  After a very long workout and then a sleepy soak in the jacquzzi, I headed out to do some fun errands.

First, I bought some cool new Reef flip-flops. Described on the tag as ridiculously comfortable - and indeed they are - and they are also ridiculously expensive. Perhaps the extra cost is for the bottle opener on the bottom of the shoe?  I plan on wearing flip-flops more than usual this summer.

It's imperative that I follow a failing endeavor to find the perfect summer hat.  For this summer I selected a visor.  As you sit there, on pins and needles reading about my pursuit of hats, I pledge this vow: I will keep you updated on this visor and whether or not it actually fits/stays in place.

Next stop, BeadWorld.  For years I've wanted to sign up for beading classes so I could learn how to fix my own jewelry.  The classes were always in the middle of the Group Meeting/CTTC planning or just afterwards when I was just too tired to bother.  Later I took a short nap and started reading a book that I purchased over a year ago but haven't had the time to read.

Now, for a long time, I've wanted to take Cake Decorating classes.  I have no idea why, I'm not even a good baker: who cares about the piping along cake edges?  Who cares about those cool roses of whipped lard & sugar? Who cares about the cool, perfectly placed, cursive writing on cakes?  ME.  I just do. There, I've admitted it. 

So, I went to a very well known cake decorating store called Wilton's Cakes.  It was like stepping into a time warp. A dirty, filthy, boardering-on-disgusting-hoarding-time warp. Now the items for sale are usually wrapped in plastic or are the type of thing you would wash before using anyway. But...it was just down right gross to see the filth on the shelves, the floor, the stacks of old, dusty, time worn items. I just could not see myself spending any time in there with edible items. I have found some alternative locations for cake decorating so we'll see if I follow up on this idea.

Every morning I wake up feeling down-right giddy.  The week was full of weird chores; I cleaned the pollen and leaves off my patio so I could get my grill up and running.  This is the crazy outfit I wore for pollen protection.

2 comments:

  1. That is a really great look for you. I notice that despite the functionality of it, you are still color-coordinated. If I manage to comb my hair before I get to work I consider myself well put together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems that I can't help myself from being color coordinated. I even dream in color coordinated segments. Ha Ha.

    ReplyDelete